Dol Guldur

the Hill of Sorcery; the fortress of the Necromancer

placefortressdol guldurnecromancermirkwood

Name and Place

Dol Guldur — the “Hill of Sorcery” — is the dark fortress raised in the south of Mirkwood, on the hill Amon Lanc (which had held the high hall of the Wood-elf kings in earlier days). From about 1050 of the Third Age it stood as the dwelling of a concealed power, and its shadow darkened the surrounding forest — giving Mirkwood its name.

The Necromancer

  • The lore of the White Council discovered at last that the “Necromancer” of Dol Guldur was Sauron himself, returned and hidden; the Council (under Saruman’s beguiling counsel) long left it unassailed, until Gandalf of the Grey drove the Shadow out in 2941 — the night of the Dwarves’ journey in the north of the wood. Sauron returned to his old fastnesses in the South (Mordor); a lieutenant held Dol Guldur, which was finally destroyed in the War of the Ring’s aftermath when the forest was cleansed.

Significance

Dol Guldur is the hinge of the later age’s “shadow of the wood” — the hidden return of the Enemy, the seed of Mirkwood’s darkening, and (in its cleansing) the last unmaking of the Shadow’s ancient lairs in the forest.

Werke: die Quellen sind seitenübergreifend die Bücher von J.R.R. und Christopher Tolkien (Silmarillion, Hobbit, Herr der Ringe, Unfinished Tales, History of Middle-earth, Nature of Middle-earth u. a.) — eigene Zusammenfassung. Siehe die Concordance und den README der Quelle für die Einzelbelege.
Nach oben ↑